CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA · L
Leontopolis
Historical Article from The Catholic Encyclopedia
Catholic Encyclopedia
Historical Context
This article preserves the historical wording and context of the printed encyclopedia. Dates, statistics, terminology, disciplinary descriptions, and civic or ecclesiastical circumstances may reflect the period in which the article was published.
Article Text
A titular archiepiscopal see of Augustamnica Secunda. Strabo (XVII, 1,19, 20) places it near Mendete and Diospolis, and says (XVII, 1, 40) that the inhabitants worshipped a lion, whence the name of the town. In reality, the name comes from Horus, who according to Egyptian mythology changed himself into a lion (Naville, “Textes relatifs au mythe d’Horus”, XVIII, 2). Ptolemy (IV, 5, 22) also mentions the nome and the metropolis of Leontopolis. The geographers Hierocles, George of Cyprus, and others call that locality Leonto, reserving the name of Leontopolis for a town in the province of Ægypta Prima; similarly in the signatures of bishops collected by Le Quien (Oriens Christianus, II, 553) Leonto is always found. Leonto is the modern Tell Mokdam on the right bank of the Nile (Damietta branch), near the railway from Cairo to Damietta which follows the left bank of the river. At Tell Mokdam may be seen the remains of a temple of Osorkon II. The other Leontopolis was situated near Heliopolis or Mataryeh. Here in the reign of Ptolemy Philometor, the Jewish high priest Onias built a temple to Jahveh, afterwards closed by Vespasian. Callinice in Syria was called Leontopolis, also a town in Isauria (Le Quien, “Oriens Christianus”, II, 1021) not yet recognized.
Source Record
- Author
- Vailhé, Siméon
- Publication
- The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 9. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1910.
- Nihil Obstat
- Nihil Obstat. October 1, 1910. Remy Lafort, Censor.
- Imprimatur
- Imprimatur. +John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York.